1hr 17mins
Dirs: Val Guest and Hal E Chester
Starring: Lizabeth Scott and George Cole

A 10-year-old boy goes on the run after accidentally shooting his friend with a gun he found on a bomb site

This fine thriller has quite a sensitive underlying theme that had originally been explored in the acclaimed 1951 thriller The Yellow Balloon (qv). The opening credits roll to aerial shots of London that include many city sights such as the Faraday Building, St. Paul’s Cathedral, and Goldsmiths’ Hall. These shots do not appear to feature on every version of the film, however, which is unfortunate as we are also treated to aerial shots of Waterloo, Waterloo East, and Blackfriars stations. Later on, there are more conventional ground level views from Blackfriars Road with the buildings of Blackfriars Goods station forming the backdrop. Although trains only feature as part of the landscape, the shots of a still largely undeveloped bomb-ravaged London hold much else of interest. There is also one shot of the frontage to a London Undergeround station at night that forms part of back-projection sequence as George Cole and Lizabeth Scott are driving through the centre of London, but the station can not be identified.

‘George Cole’ introduces us to the southern end of Waterloo Station and highlights the current day location of the Park Plaza Hotel. Plenty of EMU’s can be seen on the approaches to the station, and in the platforms. (With thanks to reelstreets).
The roof of Waterloo station fills the lower half of this picture but clearly visible on the left hand side is St. John’s Church. To the right of this view, the footbridge connecting Waterloo with Waterloo East station is partly visible. (With thanks to reelstreets).
Waterloo East station emerges from the left hand side of this capture, and as the line crosses to the opposite side of the picture, the telephone exchange on the corner of Hadfields and Meymott Street is prominent above it, whilst the apartment blocks of Tait House (curved) and Benson House are clearly visible below it. At least two platforms of the station are occupied by trains. (With thanks to reelstreets).
About to leave the southern side of the River Thames, road traffic is seen on Blackfriars Road, and to its right, a British Rail Goods Station. The many lines taking both goods and passenger traffic to Blackfriars and Holborn Viaduct stations are prominent in this view, which is again uploaded with thanks to reelstreets.
Jon Whiteley runs north along Blackfriars Bridge with the adjacent railway bridge on the right, on the approach to Blackfriars station
This is Blackfriars Road, with the wall of Blackfriars goods depot forming the background. This was in fact the original Blackfriars Bridge station, constructed on two levels, with a goods depot at street level and passenger facilities level with the bridge. It was opened by the London, Chatham & Dover in June 1864, but closed to passengers in October 1885 with opening of the through route. It finally closed to goods traffic in February 1964.
Rolling back-projection passes behind George Cole and Lizabeth Scott. in this classic piece of studio-bound deception!! The entrance to a London Underground station is clearly visible to the immediate left of George Cole’s head.